Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relationship/ formula between safety factor/reliable index and return period of nominal windload

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoangvhuy

Structural
Jun 4, 2016
VN
Hi everyone,
i am studying how to calculate wind load in ASCE 17,
For each risk category, we have MRI( mean recurrence interval/return period ) accordingly. and for each life building in year, we have the probability of exceeding wind load.
My question is: how to determine of safety factor/reliability index for buildings if we choose MRI to design? i see the relationship chart but don't know how to/formula to get a safety factor
Screenshot_2023-07-11_002503_v2npqw.png

reliability_indexx_v7dqkv.png

THanks all so much

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I typed up half an answer but got distracted the other day. Sorry. For one thing, I'm assuming you mean ASCE 7 and not ASCE 17. If you mean 17, I can't help you. I've never designed an air supported structure.

The simple answer: you don't have to. These are meant to be used with the load combinations in chapter 2 and the various material specifications referenced in the international building code. When all used together, you get a combination of loading and resistance that balance at a reliability index deemed sufficient by the code writers. I think it's something like a 1:300,000 chance of failure? I don't remember exactly. I'd have to dig for those references. But you don't set the reliability index or pick safety factors - they're set by the code.

My understanding is that there is a statistical relationship as shown in your chart, but that the actual formulation is very statistics heavy. Anything less than that would only be curve-fitting.

@phamEng
i have mistake. ASCE 7 not ASCE 17.
Thank for your support
Any paper/document you can advice for my study for this issue. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back