Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relativly high speed/high pressure valve for steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

R33E8

Mechanical
May 2, 2007
US
Hello,

I am trying to pulse pressurized steam in a fairly precise manner. I don't know much at all about valves, fluid dynamics, and such so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My goal is to release pressurized steam at frequencies from 10Hz to 150Hz. The steam pressure used will not be over 100psi for this testing(due to a safety release valve). I would like the valve to be connected to the system with 1/4" ID tubing.

The issue I am having right now is I would like the pressure released to have the same force as my current setup. Right now, I am using a pipette nozzle with a 1mm opening and the pressure set to around 40-60psi. I also having trouble finding valves that meet the pressure, speed, or temperature requirements of steam.

Is there an equation I can use to find the amount of force x distance x pressure or do I have to find and plot it manually.

Now, I have found a few high speeds solenoid valves but the orifices seem too small for application. I am also not sure if I could take a regular solenoid valve from McMaster-Carr and pulse it at these rates reliably..

Thanks for any help..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I forgot to add, I am also having trouble finding keywords on what to search for.. Like I am at a complete loss at what type of airflow measurement I am looking for and can only think of CFM... If I do get a valve with a smaller orifice, can I just raise the pressure to get the same force?

McMaster-Carr is a valuable resource, but for this unique application you should speak directly to someone with more focus on solenoid valves. Parker-Skinner, ASCO, Clippard are names for small solenoid valves.

I will fearlessly prognosticate that you are above the frequency response offered by even those. You may wind up looking at the type of valve used for an inkjet printer. Not much volume, but good frequency response. You also made it hard on yourself by wanting to flow steam. Steam is hot enough to cause problems in the electronics of the type of valves you migh use.

None of these problems can't be dealt with...just takes time and money.

Thanks for the response!

Today I had a thought about using a rotary valve connected to an electric motor. I would just need a rotary valve that is open for 50% of the 360* turn. Is this idea feasible? I have pretty good CAD skills and could probably design something up real quick. The main concerns I have about making my own is proper sealing, thermal expansion rates, getting the timing right for the 50% on time, and the other problems I don't even know I will encounter. Is this idea even feasible?

Thanks again.

It's feasible. You'll have to spend a lot of design time getting the seats to last. Continuous motion is not in their normal designe criteria.
I remember an engineer with a valve company telling me about testing to a NASA spec at 22 hz. The valve did it, but after a few seconds, the packing melted.

The ball will need a substantially reduced port. Otherwise it will be flowing something for all but 20-30 degrees of rotation.

Thanks again.
I assume by your first reply that finding a valve like this for just compressed air applications is hard as well, is this correct?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back