Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relay Specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

recalli349

Electrical
Feb 12, 2015
CA
Hello everyone,

I am in need of some help with regards to a relay. In the attached drawing, I am not sure of all the requirements of the the two relays between the power supply and the transformer. Must these two specific relays have a dielectric strength of 4800VAC? The power source is not in parallel with the HiPot, but I just want to make sure that I am taking the correct precautions. I do not want my built circuit to fail or possibly catch on fire. Also of note is that the HiPot would only be supplying 4800VAC for about half of a second. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2ef092e9-8a61-474c-8d73-fafe61a67361&file=Relay_Specs.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello

The purpose of a Hipot test is to check lower voltage rated circuits for leakage. The tester will most often just pass or fail a circuit I have yet to see anything in between on my megger but I'm sure it happens, it's not likely to cause your circuit to start on fire or do anything dramatic.

Chuck

I forgot to mention to not exceed the voltage rating required for your specific application. I copied this from a hipot manual, you might want to check yours. Typically the "rule of thumb" for an AC test voltage is (2 * operating voltage + 1,000 volts). So if your products operating voltage is 115 volts AC the answer would be (2 * 115) + 1,000 = 1,230 volts. Test voltages may vary depending upon the classification of the product.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back