Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Relay test equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

trac5020

Electrical
Mar 26, 2005
US
Our company is in the process of looking for a new relay test set. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are reviewing the
Megger MPRT, KoCos ARTES 440 II, Omicron and Doble 6100. We have experience with the Doble 2200 series of test sets but would like to move away from them.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The biggest reason we are moving from the 2200 series is size and weight. You have to setup 3 of them to test any new relay.

The newer test sets source as many as 4 voltages and 6 currents at the same time. (in one convenient package). For field testing portability is a major concern. The newer test sets are also lighter (helps reduce the potential for injury while carrying the equipment).

Thanks for the information and replies. Does anyone have experience with Omicron? If so does it handle older electromechanical relays well?

I haved used Omicron and there should be no problem with electromechanicals. You can't really automate the testing. The old electromechanicals typically only have one protective function so there is no reason or ability to talk to the relay. You simply dial in the parameters on the current and voltage supply and energize. You can time the contact changeovers as well.
I have not used many testers except Manta, Omicron, and Doble. For relay testing, Omicron beats all of the above hands down.
FYI - there is some software that recently came out that can be used with a bunch of testers. This allows one software package to be used for multiple testers. This is something worthwhile if your company uses different test sets but only wants to use one software package to reduce the number of test sequences needing programmed into different test sets. Write one test program for any test set.

What makes the Omicron the better test set? I have used the Manta and did not like it.

Does anyone have experience with the new Megger MPRT?

I currently Use the doble 6150 relay test set and I love it! It is light weight, it can support 6 voltages and 6 currents (lower VA of course) and it comes with software that has a good range of Macros (to help automate tests...very good for Ohmic Reach circles)

We also have an Omicron Relay Test set and Personally I don't really like it. It seems harder to set up and the tests arn't as easy to automate like with the doble. They do put out a much better looking report though.

My vote is definatley for the Doble 6150! After I got good with this test set I could easily test up to 4 involved SEL relays in 10 hours (351s and the like).

Has anyone had any experience with the new MANTA MTS-5000?
Seems like a pretty good unit. It has enough VA to do a KD-10 set at 0.3 ohms reach. No problem.

Does anyone really use 6 currents for relay testing? If so how often?

More often than not I find myself paralleling the 6 currents into a more useful 3 current arrangement. I agree with davidbeach's comment but it is not mandatory.

You can get away with using three currents and series connecting (NOT parallel) the two sides of the diff relay only for a machine diff relay or a transformer diff set for 1:1 voltage ratio and wye-wye or delta-delta configurations. Any other configuration of a transformer diff that produces non-equal currents under non-fault conditions would require all 6 currents to test it for three phase operation. It may also be possible to test the relay phase at a time and only need two current inputs.

With single phase relays the most currents you would need would be two (to test a current differential). However, most of the microprocessor relays are three phase in one box. Also, not all manufactuers publish a method for testing three phase relays single phase. To further complicate things, three phase relays perform angle compensation inside the box instead of relying on a simple rewire of the CT's to shift the currents to match the opposite current. The compensating current that is used in three phase relays will be a phase to phase current which makes single phase testing a real intresting propositon. And finally, because three phase relays use phase to phase angle compensation, the relay also has to know the phase sequence or the compensation will be wrong.

Remember when you actually calibrated relays, slaving over a hot load box. Ahh, those were the days. By the way, hi David Beach, its Mike Young, how's life in the big city.

Its been over 10 years since I was testing on a regular basis, its mostly been demonstration of relays to customers. I don't have the current hands on to help you pick a model from experience.

Once you have it boiled down to 2 or 3 vendors ask them to send an application engineer (not a sales rep) to demo the unit, and ask them if you can keep it for a few weeks to try it out. Most of the companies have demos for just such things.

Thanks for all the response. We have settled on the Manta MTS-5000.

Just as mikey70 suggested we invited application engineers to demo their units. The litmus test was a Beckwith 3420 generator relay and a KD-10 with a reach of 0.31 ohms. The Manta unit handled everything wonderfully.

The Manta unit proved to cover all the bases we need.

I would like to thank everyone for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back