Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Relaying classes/courses.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madman4q

Electrical
Dec 7, 2006
US
Has anyone taken the SEL relaying course?? or ABB or any relaying course. I'm interested in learning more about relaying and I'm looking for a course that's really good for someone with NO experience and with the basic pre requites....
Any Advice??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have attended the SEL PROT 401 class and would highly recommend that course if you are looking for the a course on the fundamentals of protective relaying. The course is very comprehensive and is equivalent to what you would cover in a semester long college course.

I would say that SEL has some of best training courses in the industry. The instructors are top notch and the courses are a good combination of theory and practical application. The SEL courses really cover the fundamentals without trying to sell their product or being a bunch of fluff like some of the other short courses I have been to.

Another couple of good classes on power system protection although not specific to protective relaying are the Short-Circuit and Distribution Overcurrent Protection courses put on by S&C Electric.

I have atttended the class put on by AVO for Generation, found them to be very good, and gave a little broader view of the available levels of digital relays

ABB's RE216 /RE316 relay courses at the ABB University in Baden are excellent. If you're asking for course information it helps greatly if you state where you are located.

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

I took the Basler Electric course. Kind of a long infomercial, but a lot of good basic information that I found useful. I'm actually an ME working on generator projects and this will help me speak to the EE's that actually do the switchboards and relaying.

I have attended a couple of courses over the last couple of years. In Vassa finland at ABB and their University in Basden Switzerland. I found them to be very good but they were definatly not for beginners and of course were only specific to ABB relays.
They try and give specific training (where possible) to your work site.
Be warned i did a one week course on the ref 542+ relay ..and it blew my mind.

Since Madman said he had no experience, I would suggest he avoid hardware specific courses at first. The Basler course used Basler hardware for the hands on, but the basic information presented was applicable to all relays. I'm sure SEL, ABB, and AVO would have equivalent courses.

I took a course on it in college. The book I used was Protective Relaying Principles and Applications by Blackburn. It can get really technical but a good book to have or to at least look at.

SEL claims this course is of theory and calculations. Even the break down of the topics doesn't include SEL products, but I guess when you get there it's different...
UMRPWR recommended it. ScottyUK, I'm in the US. I dont want to go to a class and then it's all marketing for their product....

I have taken and would recommend the AVO Institute course
Relay Maintenance-Basic. There is a pre-test available on the internet (no charge) at AVO's site that will let you assess your knowledge and let you know if you are ready for the class. The classes are available in many different locations around the US and there is a schedule available at their site to tell you when and where.
The focus for the relay maintenance-basic class is electro-mechanical type relays,(at least when I took it) but the principles learned on EM's apply to all relays.
Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back