Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relearning and order of importance

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenMandu

Industrial
Jul 22, 2007
US
Let me mention that I knew SW 2001 to some degree back in the day. If I can learn the new stuff, I believe I can finally land another decent job with it.

I'm suffering from a little anxiety over this. Not sure where to focus:

Modeling
Assemblies
Drawing

My guess is, knowing how to handle assemblies is actually more essential than knowing all the tricks to modeling and drawing. True?

Ken

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think knowing all the essentials of model is more important. Assembly mates and other features will come easily. If you learned it before, you shouldn't have much problem. There are new features in SW 2007 than 2001, but you can pick it up.

Chris
SolidWorks 07 4.0/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 04-21-07)

I agree with the other guys - if I were looking to hire someone I'd rank the 3 things you listed as follows:

Part Modeling
Drawings
Assemblies

Some of the assembly stuff might seem pretty complicated, but it's really just logical thinking. Keep asking yourself, "How does this go together?" Until you get to some of the more complex tasks like motion simulation and such it's really just a matter of learning which buttons to push.

Don't sweat the re-learning process, it'll all come back. Just like falling off a bike!

Good modeling practices can make top level assemblies much easier to deal with. Get your modeling skills down, it will form the foundation for everything else.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Modeling, definitely. The other two will depend on your job location. I never (nearly never) make drawings anymore--I send solid swoopy-surfaced files to mold makers and manufacturers and ask that they hold .005" tolerances. Piece of cake. Some places will be drawing-intensive, some assembly-intensive. It all depends.

Since 2001 many of the changes that probably scare you are primarily to the interface. That will mostly take a bit of getting used to.

Have you checked out SolidProfessor? Excellent video tutorials to get you back up to speed quickly. Get the 2007 version (or 2008 if you upgrade soon)--watch everything and try out what you learn on new parts and it will "stick" really well. You'll probably have to pay for the SolidProfessor series, but if you ask your VAR you may find it comes as part of your annual maintenance gig (mine does).

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

I rank them is the same order.....learn to walk before you run.

Part modeling
Drawings
Assembly

Heckler [americanflag]
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 4.0 & Pro/E 2001

o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"Avoid the base hypocrisy of condemning in one man what you pass over in silence when committed by another." -- Theodor

Ken,

Obviously it's unanimous that modeling is the core skill that you should focus on in your reintroduction to the software. However, to go a little deeper into the subject, I would urge you to work from the bottom up within the modeling curriculum. Be sure to acquaint yourself with the procedures that surround sketching and the routes you will need to create the best sketch that defines your model / assembly and captures your design intent. Get intimately familiar with both 2D and 3D sketching. Then work your way back into the features, surfaces, etc. I know it will be difficult to keep plugging away at sketching especially since you are familiar with modeling techniques, but I don't know how many times a bad sketch from somebody (usually myself) has thrown a wrench into the works.

Run through the tutorials and the other training software the guys have suggested, and you'll be back on that horse in no time.

Dan

Thanks all. Surprised, but glad to hear the modeling consensus.

I bought the Student Edition three weeks ago, and disappointedly discovered it is version 2006. I also bought the Tickoo book and am nearly finished with it. At $25, the "I Get It" tutorials are in store.

The encouragement is appreciated. I have a BSME from OSU but a stumbled career. This chance to get back into the design world is a godsend!

Thanks again!

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back