Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Release Stresses (BRIDGE GIRDER DESIGN CONSPAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineerAll

Structural
Oct 26, 2005
GB
Precast-top values in CONSPAN - is it correct that as long as the release stresses are less than 0.75 f'c 1996 AASHTO 9.15.1 then I am ok even tho my CONSPAN program red flags these values

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First the 1996 edition of AASHTO has been out dated for some time.

Second, for most girders the release stress concerns the top flange since the CIP decking or precast panels/CIP slab hasn't been added to the system yet thereby counteracting the upward camber resulting from prestressing.

The potential result is cracking in the top flange. You can check this rather quickly from CONSPAN stress output to the newer code and learn what's going to happen.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

Engineerall,

Do you have your numbers right here. Do you really mean to say The allowable Tension stress in the top at release is .75f'c?? Thos sounds awfully high. Are you sure you are reading it properly? The tensile strength of concrete is about 7 root f'c (in American units). The allowable limit should be significantly less than this. Your value is an order of magnitude higher.

Our local state agency limits our residual tension to ZERO psi at the DL + P/S stage and 3 root f'c at service load conditions (DL + P/S + (LL+I).

First, the original post meant 0.75 f's.

Second, did Qshake read the post correctly? The limit on fs is the allowable stress of the cable.

Third, steel and concrete are pretty much the same, yet the code changes continually.

Would someone please straighten this out. The thread is confusing I can't make heads or tails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back