Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Releasing new parts for an existing drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmmconfig

Aerospace
Dec 23, 2013
US
Hello,

I work for a medium-size aerospace & defense company and our PLM software is Teamcenter. The organization is looking to use no-variant drawings which can represent many part variations. I did not find mention of how this should work in MIL STD 100 or EIA 649. What other standards should I reference to find out if the following practice is acceptable?

Simple example:
(Note: Teamcenter uses a 'represents' relationship to ensure the part record and related drawing revisions are kept in sync. We do not identify parts with revisions, assigning revs to parts is a Teamcenter construct.)
1) no-variant drawing for labels and part variants are released: DWG 12345, Part 12345-01 (white label), Part 12345-02 (black label) initial release rev "-"
2) typo on the DWG thus DWG 12345, Part 12345-01, Part 12345-02 are revised to "A"
3) new colour is introduced thus DWG 12345, Part 12345-01, Part 12345-02 revised to "B". NEW 12345-03 (green) released at rev "B"

#1 and #2 are already happening. #3 is new and I need to understand if this violates 'good practice'.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back