Relief Valve Location 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMEHL

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2022
US
Hey All,

I am looking to see if someone can help me with this, is there a code section that deals with the location/placement of a PSV/PRV Pressure Safety/Relief Valve.

Meaning, that the valve should be affixed directly to piping or a pressure vessel, and the discharge should be piped through the roof or 6" above finished floor.

Mainly looking at it from a safety aspect, where there are PSVs that are on a tank or piping at eye level with nothing piped to the floor or through the roof protecting people that might be present in a mechanical space if the relief was to activate and discharge.

Thanks in advance,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Might be worth your while reviewing the recommendations in API-STD-520 Part II - Installation.

Note there is a separate forum for safety relief valves.

*** Per ISO-4126, the generic term
'Safety Valve' is used regardless of application or design ***

*** 'Pressure-relief Valve' is the equivalent ASME/API term ***

In general the codes are not prescriptive in these as there are too many options, fluids and local restrictions.

What they do is specify performance requirements. SO in inlet terms there is a maximum pressure loss from the vessel or piping to the inlet of the valve which I believe is 3% of the set pressure. That often means very close / direct mounting.

Where the exhaust / vent goes is a safety issue both for venting to a "safe location" as the P&IDs say and avoiding jetting out their fluid where people might be present. This is part of the safety / hazard review as it is so individual to the location that it can't be prescribed by the code.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back