Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relief Valve Shielding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cargo Bob

Mining
Feb 11, 2023
PA
In my plant we have many air receivers primarily that are in less than ideal environments - mainly dust/fines and humidity. This environment is not the best for relief valves with integral discharge apertures. We can potentially engineer the problem out but at great cost and/or an unsustainable effort in the maintenance program. An idea I am considering is to cover and close around the relief valve with a UV resistant plastic bag with potentially dessicant pads included. This should protect the valve against fines and dust accumulation at the discharge apertures, keep the valves clean and potentially reduce maintenance effort and ensure with some confidence that if the valve is called into service it will operate as required with some confidence.

My questions to colleagues is;
1. Are you aware of this strategy being applied in your experience?
2. I cannot find anything in any standard (ASME/API or others) to say that this is not a recommended practice or tactic. Happy to be corrected!
3. I expect bagging will not restrict the effectiveness of the valve discharge (our pressures typically 10b) at required capacity - any comments?
4. If anyone does apply this strategy would like to hear from them in terms of materials used (bags etc) and the success or otherwise of doing this.

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back