Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

relocation of all files & folders to another computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdennyb

Mechanical
Nov 14, 2003
US
I'm in the process here at AES of moving ALL files, folders, etc. that pertain to our solidworks 2001+ assemblies, parts, etc. that are used in our machines to another computer. The server now stores this main folder called "engineering" and it has many, many sub-folders within it that are necessary. I need to move this entire folder to my (network linked) computer I use so it will free up the server hard drive. How do I do this? I was considering using the Solidworks Explorer screen but it only handles 1 assy at a time and we have hundreds! Plus parts. So, how do I move the "engineering" folder without messing up all the assemblies and their mating relationships? Any help will greatly appreciated since Solidworks doesn't help much.

thanks

dennis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Simply open Windows Explorer and drag and drop or cut and paste the "egineering" folder to it's new location. All the file links will remain intact because your not changing folder names or part/assembly/drawing locations from folder to folder. When you open an asssembly or drawing for the first time from the new location SolidWorks may ask you for the route dirctory (ie C:/ D:/ E:/)or you will recieve something like "can't find blah , blah, blah would you like to find it yourself" Say yes and go find the part. Once you have given it the correct one it will automatically update all the search paths. I don't even think you will recieve this question. Just browse to the folder in the new location and begining opening. Things should be just fine.

That's what I would do, as long as all your files are under the root folder "Engineering". And, to avoid the error dialog from poping up, go into Tools>Options>File Locations and modify your Referenced Documents location by adding the new location of your "Engineering" folder prior to opening any files.

MadMango
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

"company server on G:\Manufacturing\Engineering" is the present location of the folder and it will be moved to:

"exodus\K:\Engineering" since a new hard drive dedicated to only solidworks will have the drive letter designation of "k:" on this network desktop computer.

I hope this clears up any confusion as to where these are moved to and from.

db

Hi, there's one thing to note after you have moved the files as to where it is reference. After the assy/dwgs are opened, u can always go to "file" -> "find references". This will list down location of where files are referenced to. Likewise, u might wan to click on a "references" tab(*located at the bottom right corner of ur window where u wan to open any files.) before clicking the open button for opening of any files... This allows you to replace "A" prt with "B" prt or change the location of any specific file to another location etc etc. =)

[thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back