Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remaining Service Life of Gas Sphere Calculation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterHerman

Civil/Environmental
Jan 16, 2007
We are calculating the remainign service life of a welded steel gas sphere and it seems the methodology is to develop the (1) corrosion rate and then (2) calculate the remaining life using the rate. The corrosion rate is determined by the change in initial thickness minus the actual thickness over time. What I find very conservative is that the initial thickness is, in practice, increased by the maximum permissible variation in fabrication (for me ASTM A20M-06) and this adds about 10 percent. Naturally, this results in a conservative corrosion rate. Is there a more sophisticated way to approach this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is correct, and most user's would rather error on the conservative side versus failure of a pressure vessel. Unless you have actual thickness numbers for the pressure vessel plate to validate a lesser conservative corrosion rate, I would suggest you stick with the conservative corrosion rate.

And remeasure every year or two. The ACTUAL thicknesses will soon flatten out your corrosion curve. It is possible that you actually have no corosion losses. Until the data set has 'actuals' from at least 5 years, corrosion rate is really a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back