Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote VFD operation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

startermotor

Electrical
Nov 21, 2007
GB
I was wondering is it possible to start a VFD via a mobile phone?

I have need of a remote wirless system that I can operate from home I was wondering would that be a problem as far as VFD's are concerned.
I work in building maintenance and want be able to switch VFD.s amongst other items (heating etc) from my home as I live a long distance from work.

Any advice much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, albeit through a small PLC or some other ancillary controller (like a Siemens LOGO! smart relay). Google the term "GSM PLC modem" and you will see more available options. Many micro PLC vendors now have GSM modules that plug in, allowing cell phone connectivity. Wire the PLC to control the VFD and voila!

As long as you are aware of the consequences of switching on a device that provides voltage to a motor, a motor spins round and it spins whatever it is attached to it. I'm looking at a system now where we have a site in New Zealand with 35 VFD's all hooked up on a BACnet serial communication system, the Building Management System high level control is BACnet Ethernet and we can access the drives via the internet. We could start them if we really wanted to but I don't know if anyone has their head in the airhandler. The consequences are that their head becomes remote from their body...
So yes, in practice it is possible and easily done with any sort of 'switch' that can be activated remotely like the LOGO! or anything else. The Siemens S7200 PLC had a telemetry system that can send SMS signals to your mobile phone in the event of trouble. A lot of Water companies have this facility for their remote pumping stations.

ozmosis can I please have the IP and passwords to those 35VFDs? I want to experiment...

523v21l.gif

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Cheers guys look forward to trying this out I am no expert at programming PLC's but I heaar they are much easier than they used to be with the knew click and drag software.

I will only switch equipment that is in the safe zones where nobady can make contact.

May be worth wiring a warning light light on equipment that lets people know it's about to start just in case.

Thanks again for you input.

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back