Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Working Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

hititfaster

Mechanical
Nov 24, 2010
GB
A friend has asked me to lend a hand with some work short term as they are over-stretched. The work on my part would be done evenings/weekends as a second job and I live a long way away so I can't be under the same roof. So my question is, what is the neatest way to execute the job in terms of data transfer? In the past, once a job was complete I've done a Pack and Go and delivered all SW files via email/Dropbox etc. This is fine when the job is a stand-alone which doesn't need feeding back into a system. It just sit's in a folder and that's it. I just don't know how easy a Pack and Go of files is to then re-integrate into a filing system? In truth I've never had to do it. The company has a proper filing system (although I don't know my way round it yet) and they have vault/PDM.

Could I work over VPN? Is it actually not an issue feeding the files into a system, I just don't know how to do it? Any advice welcome. Hopefully I've explained myself, but if not, please do ask away...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If they have a vault, and you can access via VPN, just check in/out. Or, your friend can check everything out, use Dropbox (or some such file sharing site) to get you the files. You modify them, send them back to Dropbox where your friend grabs them and then checks them in.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWE
My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back