Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removal of H2S (hydrogen-sulfide) from water 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MirJev

Chemical
Jul 15, 2016
RS
Hi everybody, I have to ask for help, once again.
I have to design a process for H2S removal in a break-pressure chamber that is part of a water supply system. I've attached a cross-section of a chamber, with all the pipelines, for you to get a picture of it.
The problem is: the only thing I can change inside the chamber is pipes, which means no additional equipment may be installed. This leads to a conclusion that aeration is the only feasible process. I don't have the data about the H2S concentration, only pH which is 7.85 on average. I am aware that in order for the aeration to be efficient, pH should be around 6, so I guess I would have to include some upstream acid dosage, right?
As for the system itself, I see two possible solutions: upward or downward dispersed flow of water through nozzles (see attached pictures 1 and 2), in order to make as much contact surface between water and air as possible.

Thank you in advance for your opinion, suggestions, advice, etc.
Mirko

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mirko,

Not much point to comment on this application since the amount of H2S is unknown. A complete water analysis is also necessary, if you would like to know the amount of acid required.

What is the purpose of the "break tank"?

H2S is a toxic gas. Is there exposure to personnel?

Bimr,
If I understood it correctly the purpose of a break-pressure chamber is to reduce the pressure in a pipeline to atmospheric, i.e. hydrostatic pressure. I am not quite sure if this is the correct answer.
The chamber is on a hill, quite remote, and there is no danger of exposure.
Someone noticed a bad odour, and concluded that the source is H2S, and now they want it out of the water. It is up to me to propose the solution. I will ofcourse request for a detailed analysis of water, but I have to propose a solution.
Please give me some guidelines. Am I on a right path?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back