Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove electrolyte during storage of lead acid battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvamet

Electrical
Dec 19, 2007
US
I have noticed that it is becoming fairly common to purchase small (motorcycle, snowmobile, etc) lead acid batteries dry and the electrolyte is poured in to activate the battery by the end user.

I know that sulfuric acid is dangerous. I use in in an anodizing bath, so I know how to handle it.

I would like to know if I could significantly extend the service life of my boat batteries when I remove them for the winter by draining the electrolyte into a proper container, rinsing and drying the plates.

Seems to me that this would stop all chemistry in its tracks and the batteries would be good to go in the spring once the acid is returned.

No lectures or EPA warnings please. Just the facts about battery chemistry. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never heard of this being done other than when a manufacturer supplies a cell as 'dry charged' prior to first use. That might be a useful term to Google and see if you can find out a little more about how the manufacturer does it. It's a fairly common practice for very large cells which are essentially built to order as a means of allowing a cell to be made available in hours rather than delivered in weeks.

Personally I don't think the cost saving is worth the hassle on a boat battery but everyone has a different judgement on that.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back