Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remove smoke detector from electrical closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mauriciocol

Electrical
Aug 5, 2003
US
Hi there

Is there any restriction to remove a smoke detector fom an electrical closet

The closet size is 6'x3'. In front of the closet is a double door which avoid the clearances problems. The contractor is requesting to remove the smoke detector due to the lack of space to install it.

Is there any restriction that you know or a standard that I can refer to to make the contractor install the smoke in place.

Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mauriciocol,

You really need to ask the AHJ who will be inspecting it. I've been able to talk them into changing smoke detector to heat detector in certain instances, but I can't cite you a code reference that says you can undo it completely.

Let us know how it goes (especially if you don't get a better answer from another tech-tipper).

Best to ya,

Old Dave

If the building is not a high rise and the fire alarm cabinet is not located in the electrical closet, you are not required to install one in the closet. Therefore, you can eliminate it.

If it is important to have a sensor in the closet (ie. the investment is worth it), a possibility is to use an air sampling smoke sensor like the VESDA ASPIRE. It consists of a small tube that is conected to the cabinet wall or takes the sample near the cabinet vents, the system aspires continously an air sample an analyses it in separate sensor module so no space is taken in the closet. (I don´t have the of this stuff but you can search for "vesda aspire" on the webb).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back