Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remove solidworks menu's 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsgnr1

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2003
US
Solidworks has placed some stupid menu's in my autocad.
How can I manipulate the Autocad startup (.ini?) to not
place these menus. I have tried removing the menu's via the "customize" method, but when I select "pdmwautocadaddin" menu group autocad will not let me delete (greyed out delete button).

sorry for the probable repeat...search is down.
dsgnr1
acadm6

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I found the only way to rid yourself of this annoyance is to kill the problem at its root. I searched my AutoCAD directories to find where any files with EDW (edrawings), PDM, or SWfileconv in the name existed. I then moved all those files to a far away place. In my case, I know I will never use these utilities inside of AutoCAD so I am safe to do this.

Once those source files are moved, then you can remove the menus, etc. from the startup list and the tools/customize menus list.

Just make sure that if you plan on using these utilities in the future that you store the files in a place other than the recycle bin.

Regards,

JEM

Solidworks 2007 SP3.0
2GB Ram/3GB Switch
Quadro FX1300
P4 3.40GHz Duo XP Pro SP2.0

thanks Jobie.
I will try this soon.
also use mostly solidworks and had a fix for this once but don't remember how I did it.

dsgnr1

¿)
Version of SolidWorks: 2006
SolidWorks Sercive Pack:sp4.1
Operating System & Service Pack: win2k v5 (sp4)
Graphics Card and Driver version: Nvidia Quadro fx540, 7.1.8.4
Amount of installed RAM: 1GB
Virtual Memory settings: APPS, total paging = 1024mb
CPU Type & Speed: intel pent 4 / cpu 3.00GHz

One thing that sucks about my method is that everytime you install a new Swx service pack, it will re-embed all of those menus into autocad.

I would love to know of a method that would solve this permanantly. Too bad Swx doesn't ask you whether or not you want those options installed. That's my biggest beef with Swx: it too often assumes it knows what you want to do.

Solidworks 2007 SP3.0
2GB Ram/3GB Switch
Quadro FX1300

Thanks Jobie and Ctopher for your input. I chose to remove for now. For future reference, is there any way I can order (have IT guy order) the installs so that the "EDW", "pdm", "swf" menu's don't show up?

I just prefer to keep apps as simple as possible...is that so wwrroooonnnnggg? =)
(must be my Solidworks background shining through)

Thanks again!
dsgnr1

¿)

I think the solution is simpler than everyone is making it out to be. I had a problem with WaterCAD changing all of the menus. When I started WaterCAD the first time all of the menus changed. After that every time I opened just AutoCAD I still had all of the WaterCAD menus.

I re-loaded AutoCAD to get rid of the problem and vowed never to start WaterCAD for AutoCAD again, just use the stand-alone program. Oops, I started the wrong program.

I finally found that ToolsMenu:Options and the last tab Profiles shows profiles that are created by other programs for a whole slew of settings. The <<Unnamed Profile>> is the default AutoCAD profile. I Set it back to Current and all of the other problems and I had my AutoCAD menus and toolbars back the way I originally set them.

Hope it works.

Mark Schroder
Design Engineer
McKean & Associates Engineers

ctopher,

Do you mean it doesn't hurt to leave the menus loaded whether you use them or not?

Solidworks 2007 SP3.0
2GB Ram/3GB Switch
Quadro FX1300

As long as the installation hasn't changed any of the original autocad commands that are accessed by the original menus I don't see a problem with it. After the solidworks installation did it set up another profile? The only way around that I can think of if it just modified the default profile is to duplicate (with a different name) the default profile and then load solidworks. The menus are just a list of commands and if they reside in a profile that you are not using they shouldn't interfere.

Mark

Correct. It doesn't hurt anything.
Plus, if you use both ACAD and SolidWorks, remove the menus you don't like, there is a chance that with the next upgrade of SolidWorks the menus will be installed again.

Chris
SolidWorks 07 3.0/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 04-21-07)

I am sure I am just nitpicking, but everytime I open AutoCAD, I have to sit and watch a splash screen for PDMworks, then a splash screen for edrawings, then a splash screen for Adobe. Now I am more than a minute into my AutoCAD session and I haven't accomplished anything. Then, there are 3 more pull down menus and 3 more toolbars cluttering up my display. Some days I have a hard enough time clicking the right icon without all that other stuff in my way.

And since I never have and never will use any of these utilities within AutoCAD it does cause more harm than good.

I guess I just find it fundamentally wrong that as you install Swx it doesn't even give you a choice. It embeds itself into other apps whether you want it to or not.

And yes, it does do this for each and every service pack upgrade.

In the future I will try to remember the method of changing profiles as mentioned by marks625. It definitely sounds promising.

Solidworks 2007 SP3.0
2GB Ram/3GB Switch
Quadro FX1300

I am like you Jobiewan99.
I like a very simple screen to look at. In fact I use primarily (99%) typed shortcuts commands in autocad. (i.e. mo for properties, st for style, op for autocad options etc.) I have a very simple menu bar. I use nothing but the properties menu and a couple custom buttons. (one is a super purge...three purges and a save, the other is a combined zoom with a zoom .9x). It su__s that I will have to move the edw files on each install. Oh well.

dsgnr1

¿)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back