Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

removing bearings from aluminum case

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelwoodcoc

Automotive
Jun 29, 2017
US
ok I've tried several methods without the best tools and it seems the tools will be required. My experience has led to the development of several questions I'd like to discuss.

I tried hearing the case in an oven to 265 degrees with a papertowel filled with water inside the bearing to keep it cool, but the bearings did not fall out. After this, I tried applying ice water to the bearing with a paper towel, but this also did not work.

I am concerned with "galling" the aluminum upon bearing removal, and there being less aluminum for the bearings upon reassembly. Is this a concern? if so, I presume the best way is to use the proper tool after heating the case in the oven to 220 degrees?

will heats as low as 300 degrees affect aluminum strength?

I presume upon reassembly it's best practice to coat the bearing OD with antisieze, grease, or enging oil. This should help prevent galling or aluminum damage during future service, correct?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Aluminium has a higher expansion rate than steel, so just heating the whole thing should release the bearing. But if you're out of luck, it's also been loctited.
You'll probably need to go up to around 200...250 deg C to get it loose. I wouldn't expect problems with the aluminium if it's cast. If it's machined dural it's more difficult.

^ Ok cool, I was told I should only heat to 275 F( 135 C) because you can "disrupt the grain structure" but I thought that only started to happen around 400 degrees F (204 C)
250C is 482F,

achievable in my oven, but I may get outgassing of the engine oil and upset others. There's one seal I didn't remove yet, which had enging oil bubbling around it, and bearings had some oil come out from behind or under them too. I don't know much about casting but I would think it's an investment or die casting.

I tried heating to 275 F with some paper towels with water inside the bearing to keep it cool. Others told me it would just fall out in the oven, but no such luck.

if those higher temps won't make the aluminum weaker after I'll heat it up and see if they fall out, and if no luck, I'll buy the special tools.

Ok cool info guys, i hit it a lot with a heat gun amd just rented a slide hammer for this one.

Nitric acid, seems like it may bwork for brass mixture screws on aluminum carbs. That would be a dream, those frequently get stuck. I'm going to try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back