Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing holes from section view

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakeb

Mechanical
Dec 1, 2004
GB
Hi Guys,

Using Wildfire 3 and PDMLink.

I am modifying someone elses assembly drawing, and they have created a lot of patterns of holes as assembly features. As I am showing some unmachined sections, I want to exclude the holes from the section views.

I know I cannot add features to a simplified rep (goodness knows why PTC won't let us do this), so that won't work. Erasing the lines using View/Drawing Display/Edge Display seems to erase some of the lines but not all of them. The holes are not in a component so substitution wont work.

I know I could create a family table (ugh) and exclude the features in that, but that would mean adding a new instance model to the assembly and storing the additional instance model in PDMLink. All the views and projections are already created anyway and making an additional model just to do this simple thing is not a good solution, and I don't think I can substitute a new instance model in existing views.

I just want to blank the holes in section. I will even manually draw the hatch lines to cover the gap in the section where the holes were if I can only get rid of the lines. Is there any way of doing this?

Thanks

Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is there a chance that some of those holes could be Cosmetic features that you can get rid of with View, Show/Erase, click on Erase button and click on Cosmetic Feature icon?

If you didn't want to go down the family table road and didn't mind the extra model, you could copy the model and delete the holes in the copy. Then add the copied model to the drawing and only use it for the section view.

Thanks guys.

None of the elements in the section were cosmetics that I could simply erase. In the end, as I didn't want extra family table models to control, I recreated the sections to avoid cutting thru the holes by sketching an appropriate dog-legged cut line. I showed it on the parent view as a simple planar section to avoid confusion (as I could easily erase the holes from the parent view but not the section). I had to redo some of the dimensions and notes.

This would have been so easy if PTC would allow features in simplified assy reps.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back