Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing large equipment from steel building

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutbutter

Civil/Environmental
Sep 1, 2005
US
I'm just fishing for some ideas. I'm looking into a way to remove 3-4 very large diesel generators from a steel building. The generators are going to be replaced and it is proving difficult to find a way to remove the old generators from the building.

There is one overhead door and there is a 20-ton gantry crane inside the building. Can large diesel generators be taken apart into smaller pieces? These generators are Cooper Bessemer, about 3 MW apiece. Very large. I would think that they could be broken down into somewhat smaller elements. Does anyone know if this is the case?

If they can't be then there are going to have to be some extensive requirements to the existing building in order to create an opening large enough to remove these generators.

Any advice would be helpful.

Peace,
NB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Generators can be disassembled, but if the intent is to reassemble and reuse / sell them, it will be VERY expensive. Making building modifications will probably be more cost effective - anyway, sounds like you need to have a way to bring in the replacements.

A typical way to move large, heavy machinery, in one piece, is to use Hillman rollers. Here is a link to info on some of their larger units:
Of course to use this type roller, you may also have to construct heavy-duty concrete slabs outside and / or inside the building.

Some projects are not easy or cheap, no matter how hard you try [smile]

[idea]

[r2d2]

Almost anything can be taken apart - even if it comes down to cutting torches.

Take the roof off?? and lift it out

Dig a big hole - push them in and cover them??

Good Luck

You can take anything apart.

As previous posters have noted, the easiest solution is to use rollers.

Suggest you talk to a Contractor experienced in moving equipment.

Thanks for the ideas. It sounds like rollers is the best option at this point. I'll look into it a bit more. Thanks again for the ideas.

NB

I worked for a rigging outfit for a few years and it was not unsual to make holes thru walls, place the items on rollers and remove with hydraulic cranes. naturally crane operators and riggers must be able to interpret crane load charts nad use proper rigging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back