Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

removing mercaptans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just starting a project about removing mercaptans (methyl, ethyl et propyle mercaptans) from Wite-spirit using fixed-bed adsorption. I realy need information about this subject ( adsorption isotherm, breakthrow curves, optimal temperature and pression, the best analytical method ...)

not much work has been done in this area of interest. we had a study about desulf processes recently and came up with only a handful of processes working by this principle. most advanced of those is the ConocoPhillips S-Zorb. try to find some info about that one, i'm sure this will help.

hth,
chris

Look at activated carbon. Recently looked at many methods of removing mercaptans from a sweet natural gas stream. We selected this method. I recall a few sizing criteria, such as face velocity (actual conditions), residence time, and lbs of carbon consumed per million cubic feet. After bed was expended, the stuff is vacuumed out and regenerated offsite. We looked at Norit and Calgon. Advise if you need any more info.

chesney@uei-houston.com

We use a series of fix bed media to treat our tail gas which contains mercaptans and H2S. The primary absorption media is Potassium Permanganate followed by a polishing filter consisting of Sulfa-Treat(activated carbon) material. Our system consist of 2 parallel permanganate filters to allow for change-outs and regeneration off-site.

Good luck,
Joel

We had a caustic treatment for LPG to reduce from 6000 wppm of methyl, ethyl and propyl mercaptan to less than 5 wppm of total sulfur compounds. Get in touch with Merichem, they will help you in this problems.
jcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back