Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Renaming part in assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

danoo

Mechanical
Jul 27, 2007
US
I have a large assembly with part names I would like to change. I received a assembly from and outside source with their naming conventions. My customer would like me to use their naming conventions. Example: their name 164.prt ,
I need to change the name to Det10.prt and even some sub-assemblies.

I tried with no success. Can anyone give me a work around or a solution to my problem.

Thanks,
Danoo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are using Intralink and these parts have been checked in, it must be done in the commonspace.

If you are using Intralink and these parts have not yet been checked in to the commonspace, then you can rename the parts in your workspace.

Otherwise (if you do not use intralink), open the model and use File-->Rename in Pro/E. It is important that the whole assembly is loaded up when you do this, because when you rename, Pro/E also changes the assembly so that it knows to look for the part with the new names. You'll have to do this part-by-part.

DO NOT attempt to rename a model in windows explorer if it is part of an assembly. The assembly will look for the old part names and your model will not work.

You also need to have your part drawings in session and save them after renaming the parts or they will no longer be able to find their models.

You could open up the assembly, do a File>Save a Copy and then rename the needed parts to the customers naming conventions. This way you could still have the old assembly and part names if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back