Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Renewable solar companies: No PE on staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischstabchen

Electrical
Feb 17, 2021
US
This is something that is bothering me some and I don't know what to really say about it. I am running into small time companies that are doing MW battery, generator, and solar installations and they have no PE on staff or are registered engineering firms. It seem like some of these are residential solar roof companies that spreading out into very big projects. I know of one solar roof company that is planning on building 500 MW solar facility and their most experienced power system engineer is fresh grad mechanical engineer who transferred over to power and has only one year of experience. 500 MW and this is your go to guy for everything? They might be bringing in consultant but I am under the impression that they still need to be a registered firm if they are offering engineering service to the public.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This seems to be a common thing. In Alberta before I left the same thing was happening with both large wind turbine and solar projects. It also frequently happens with speciality piling solutions like screw piles.

Geotechguy1,

I just find the whole thing a little wonky because 500 MW is no longer a few panel on someone's roof and can affect the bulk electric system.

500 MW suggests a commercial installation which would fall under the industrial exemption stateside. Even if crammed onto a residential rooftop they’d be covered if the customer is paying for a product rather than development.

I get calls frequently from small installation companies. It is common for them to be at/near the installation when they find out: (a) a permit is needed; and/or (b) they need a structural engineer to review and sign-off the attachment to existing. Is it such a new line of work that companies don't understand the requirements yet?

Do you know of specifics that their design or work is bad? 500MW is something the utility, or the network company would be involved and oversees the interconnection. They make sure that no problem will transfer into their grid. they also may be part-owner of the project. Is there a legal requirement to have a PE and have them stamp anything? i don't know your state, or country, so you should find out if your complaint actually has a legal reason.

and a fire would happen because of some shotty installation error. Having qualified electricians and installers would matter more for that than the overall design.

In my State electrical design for buildings doesn't get reviewed by JHA and no PE required. Code conformance is done by the inspector on site and the contractor needs to have a Master electrician who pulls the permit.

If a PE is specifically required but none are involved, that's a problem.
Whether that PE is employed by a contractor or outside consultant, etc., not so much an issue.

Another example from Alberta: I just looked into micro-generation (<100kW) requirements with a local utility and the county, and nothing requires an engineer's stamp on the installer's part. The county sends their own inspector to an installation to grant the permit, and the utility's engineer won't throw the switch unless their requirements are met.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back