Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repainting Rusted steel for a water ride 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verna

Structural
May 4, 2004
US
I am looking at a water ride at a theme park that has severely corroded parts of the steel structure. They want the repair process incospicuous and performed during the days the park is not opened (Mon thru Thu.).The SSPC website has all the info I need but I'm having trouble deciding which surface preperation procedure and which protective coating procedure to use. Is there a guide for selecting the appropriate repair procedure based on these circumstances, or does anyone have any suggestions? Thankyou
P.S. How do you feel about using rust reformers?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ameron makes a coating, Amerlock 400, that will adhere to rusted steel as long as it is properly prepared. It's an epoxy, so you'll probably want to topcoat it. I'd contact Ameron to see if this is a proper application.
Otherwise, you're talking about an SSPC SP-6, commercial blast cleaning.
Also, make sure you've got a sufficient factor of safety after the rust is considered. Once it's covered up, it will be forgotten, but your capacity will still be reduced.

I guess that I would call the State inspector in charge of amusement Park rides and have him help decide how and when to repair the ride. This may get the client a little PO'ed but maybe the ride is so far gone that it should be shut down until repairs are completed. It is better to be a little on the safe side because the client probably hasn't done all the routine maintenance required or the corrosion wouldn't be 'severe'.

Verna...not sure what state you are located in, but dicksewerrat is onto something. I have been involved in Amusement Ride and Device inspections and consulting for a long time and have done numerous water parks/water rides. Most amusement rides and devices are regulated by state agencies and require periodic inspections (in Florida, each ride must be inspected each year by an engineer authorized by the state of Florida as an amusement ride/device inspector). Further ASTM has a series of standards applicable to amusement rides and devices, their design, their construction , and their maintenance. You might check those. They are under the jurisdiction of Committee F24.

As for the type of coating to use on these devices, moist-cured urethanes and epoxies work well. Surface prep should be near-white blast cleaning. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations on the coating.

The water park exposure is characterized by high levels of chloride and moisture. The primary coating systems I recommend considering are :
1. Poly systems
2. Amine 2500
3. High Solids
4. Epoxy primer/urethane top coat

Recommended Proceedure

1.1 CLEANING TO REMOVE FOREIGN MATTER.
Remove foreign materials such as grease or dirt, from all surfaces prior to stripping paint or removing corrosion. Surfaces may be cleaned in accordance with SSPC SP-1.

1.2 PAINT STRIPPING (WHEN REQUIRED).
Residual paint and/or primer must be removed by mechanical or chemical treatment after initial surface cleaning. Mechanically clean using steel wire bushes, glass bead blasting, or honing processes.

1.3 CORROSION REMOVAL.
Abrasive blasting is the required (SSPC SP-10) to remove corrosion products.

Note: Proceed to Step 1.4 within 4 hours of blasting

1.4 PAINT. (Typical depending on system selected)
Top coating cannot be done in one coat.
Wash Prime surfaces per Anti-Corrosive Epoxy Primer MIL-P-23377D Type 1 Class 1 30Y94 US Paint S9001 Epoxy or equivalent specification to a thickness .6 to 1 Mil as specified.
545 Anti-Corrosive Epoxy Primer.D1001, 2-3 mils (50-75 microns) dry film thickness/2 coats.
Final topcoat application of US Paint Urethane Gray G1007 gloss or equivalent gray paint to a thickness 2.5-3mils(63-75microns) total dry film thickness/ 2 coats as specified by manufacture.

For steel applications we have have good luck with rust reformers (Phosphoric acids)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back