REPAIR WELDING ON SIDE FLANGES OF A VALVE 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

skengg

Mechanical
Jun 19, 2021
IN
Hello all,
i need some clarity about repair welding of valve, like as cast carbon steel valve allow repairs to be weld,
so in case of any allowable repair casting defect on the side flanges. are we allowed to do the repair welding on flange?
one of my colleagues says that its not permitted to do it but I haven't found any written justification in any of the relevant valve standard or specification.
I Know that from the strength point of view its really critical as side flanges of a valve plays very critical role in pipeline, so any kind of tempering hamper the performance and safety.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You won't find any references for flange repair in any valve spcification for certified valves. The reason is that this is not seen as a possible (allowed) variation. If you use a valve with repaired flange, you will also have the full responsibillity for the conseqences, morally and economical, if anything goes wrong. The only way out of the responsibillity is to (re)certify the valve by a qualified company.

As pipelines were mentioned, API Spec 6D has a subclause, 7.11.2 entitled "Casting Repair at the Manufacturer". It does not specify any exclusions of specific castings for repair.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back