repairing a hole in a pipe 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjsamman

Mechanical
Nov 22, 2008
SA
Hi all,

a pipe of 2 m diameter (Carbon Steel) and thickness 1 in, the flow of sea water and pressure max 2 bar.
We found a through-hole of about 2 in diameter under the coating.
My question is:
What is the recommended practice to repair such a problem like this?

regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Clamp or plug.

Many different options and ultimate best solution is to replace the pipe section.

A bit more information on location and issues would help.

Also carbon steel ams seawater don't really mix. ...

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

An immediate action is to stop the leak with a temporary clamp. And then, since the pipe coating is failing, the temporary clamp my not hold for too long. You should plan a permanent repair and schedule the work as required.

A temporary repair for this is the installation of a repair clamp. This appears to be a significant issue since the corrosion went through a 1-Inch thick pipe. You should schedule a thorough inspection of the pipeline as well as schedule replacement of the pipe segment in question.

pipe clamp

Thanks for all those who replied but I think clamping solution is not practical one because as I told you that the diameter of the pipe is about 2 m. Moreover, I want a permanent repair since the unit is under annual maintenance so we have plenty of time.
So, is it practical to grind the hole to be a square and insert new plate then weld it to the original pipe. Also, we can patch a back plate from outside as a support.
Any one has a good approach for this kind of repair or some standard I can refer to it.

regards

Reapir techniques for low pressure large diameter pipes can get fairly basic.

I wouldn't square off anything - too much stress concentration.

You could patch it on the outside by fillet welding a plate on the outside, you could weld a circular plate with a full thickness weld (much better), you could insert a 2" diameter bolt and washers and just bolt it, insert a 2" bar and fillet weld inside and out.

Up to you, the owner and whatever local codes and regulations you're working to.

I would be much more concerned with how a 1" thick pipe got corroded to a 2" hole and how many more there are.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Permanent repairs:
Cut out a section of the pipe where it is leaking, weld in a new joint (assuming you can get or have new pipe)
Install type B Sleeve to the pipe, they are pressure containing & permanent. I'll assume you know something about these when it comes to code & selecting the proper thickness & welding. Google B sleeve.

I would not make the repair you suggest.

As others mention, we'll wait until your next failure, which probably won't be too far away. Obviously you should consider if you have a through wall pit in one area, you will probably have more of these in the future. Maybe it doesn't matter that much as it is only water & you're not doing any environmental damage.

If you are not planning to replace the segment, just put a clamp on it. Talk to the local water supply parts distributor about a repair clamp, as a 2 m clamp is available.

xxx_hdfaj3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back