Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Repairing cracks in CMU

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrEng007

Structural
Aug 22, 2014
US
I've moved my question over to this forum, I previously had it in the Structural Engineering General Discussion Forum.

My question is a continuation of the thread I started:thread507-512256

Anywhere I can find details for introducing a new control joint into an existing CMU wall that has a vertical crack? The vertical cracks I have completely vertically aligned and I can see these cracks have previously been sealed (likely) and painted over(definitely) in the past, and the crack occurred again at the same location.

The building is over 60 years old, and while I'm tempted to do the same thing as previous repairs (route, epoxy inject, paint), I expect the same issue will occur again. So if the building likes to crack at this location, why not put a permanent joint there?

I've also got the same issue with differential movement at the interface between block and a concrete tie-beam. It's a perfectly lined horizontal crack, and the CMU infill is for out-of-plane loading only (no in-plane shear). I'm not sure if it's best to route and epoxy inject or use an elastomeric type joint filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back