Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

REPAIRS TO RIVETED VERTICAL STORAGE TANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Nov 23, 2002
LK
I am in the process of repairing a Riveted Tank which id 55 years old. Tank shell and bottom plates are in good shape but there are few areas in the bottom to Shell connection that is leaking.

There ia no possibility of re-riveting as riveting equipment and expertise is not available in Sri Lanka.

Is there any other techninique we can use in this situation. We are planning to use SIGM "novaguard" paint at 1000 micron thickness over the entire rivet line so as to farm a barrier against leaks. Will this work.

Thank you

Gamma

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

pipeingg(indutrial)
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE RESPONSE.

Dear Sir,

Sorry for not giving more information at the outset

Tank Stores Gas Oil
Diameter = 23.5 meter
Height = 11.7 meter
Tank is Steel, I presume equivalent to ASTM A 36
The Tank is riveted construction.
It had been in service for 50+ years
Bottom shell is 12.5mm and in good shape
Bottom Plate is 9mm and is corroded in areas. We are in the process of repairing and replacing sections that are away from rivet lines
We have conducted a vacuum box test on the horizontals and they are not leaking.
But we feel that the joint Bottom to first shell may have some leaks. This we have not established so far.
However we need to provide some safety against possible leaks once the tank is loaded for hydrotest.
Also we need to maintain the integrity of the riveted connectoion when boublers are being introduced close to the rivet line. Some weld connections are around 10 to 20mm from the rivets
Hope this is adequate
Thank you
Gamma

Calling 513613, Thankyou. You will have to conduct another vacuum box test on your horizontals when all welding is complete. Tig welding would be the way to go as you can control the size of the heat effected zone more easily when coming to fit your Boublers rather than stick Welding.After this length of time the steel will have become impregnated with gas oil and be carbon enriched. Welding in new pieces could be difficult,However I've always placed patch plates on these tanks and welded them on the outside with M.I.G. flux core process using .6dia wire a small 3-4mm fillet weld should be ample. This would also overcome possible leaks durring hyrotest ,remember my good friend rivets due to there use and age can not be saved all the time ,this job wil cost more but will be cheeper in the long run and will give the tank a longer life expectancy. If the tank is enclose you may wish to purge the tank with nitrogen as another safty factor.Please let me know how you get on and goodluck!

pipeingg(industrial)

Dear sir,

Your advice is very helpfull.Thank You again. I will keep you posted on the developments. As adviced I will use TIG welding around the rivets and rivet loine.
Gamma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back