Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replace Component and Instance Attributes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarckyMON

Computer
Nov 30, 2010
DE
Hello,

I have come across the following situation where instance attributes are not updated when replacing a component. I'm using NX7.5.3.3 x64.

Suppose I have two assemblies, A and D. A is structured as follows:

A
-B
--C

(A is the root occurrence, B is a child of A, and C is a child of B).

D is structured as follows:

D
-E
--F

(D is the root occurrence, E is a child of D, and F is a child of E).

So far, so good. Now let's turn it up at notch: Since B is an instance, I can supply an instance attribute. Let's call this attribute INSTANCE_ATTRIBUTE and give it a value of B. In order to visualize this instance attribute, I clone (e.g. copy) the attribute as an occurrence attribute, so I can keep track of it in the Assembly Navigator Tree (ANT). To visualize:

A
-B [INSTANCE_ATTRIBUTE = B]
--C

Now I repeat the process for instance E in assembly D:

D
-E [INSTANCE_ATTRIBUTE = E]
--F

Now for the fun part. Interactively I replace B (in assembly A) with E using the replace component command. My new assembly looks like this:

A
-E [INSTANCE_ATTRIBUTE = B]
--F

It still has the instance attribute of B! This does make
sense (on how instances work in NX), but what is the purpose?

I initially tried a similar test, but instead of replacing B with E, I used a different assembly,

G
-H

but then replaced B with G. Since G is the root occurrence, it has no instance, therefore no instance attribute(s). I thought that NX retained the instance attribute of G because G (on its own) has no instance. But since E has an instance, I thought that it would keep the instance attribute of E, and not B!

Can someone explain this behavior? Is there a possibility (without a callback) / option to "force" the instance attribute of the replaced component (in this example, from E?)

Thank you for your time!

Marc
NX Software Developer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the Preserve Component Attributes option set in the customer defaults? Assemblies -> General -> Component Operations (near the bottom of the window)

I was changing a few things in my defaults file today and after reading the description for this setting I thought of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back