Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Replacing Old Z Purlins in a building. Need equivalent to 6"x3"x10GA Z purlin. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC Scott

Civil/Environmental
Dec 18, 2023
US
All,

Could someone please help me find a Z purlin that could carry the same loads as a 6"x3"x10Ga Z Purlin? I only need a few of these and 10GA is not a common size. This makes it so I have to order a high quantity to get the 6"x3"x10Ga. Could we go to a 6"x4"x12GA and get similar loading characteristics? Maybe there is a better option that is just one of my ideas. I don't know cold form well enough to answer this question. Could you also please provide the data tables that you used to provide me an alternative? I have included some common AISI Z purlin data tables. I hope this helps in some way. Thanks so much in advance.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e0f28d96-4cda-4460-8c21-cfdad6c7bbbb&file=MBCI_Purlin_Loads.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like you need a structural engineer who is experienced in cold form design. Depending on the code in your jurisdiction, swapping out for what was there may not be enough. Often times, the repair has to meet current code requirements. That could mean greater snow loads, different wind loads, etc. It could also require additional or different bracing (a lot of research into the instability of thin cold formed steel sections in recent decades has changed some of those requirements). Only way to know is for a local engineer knowledgeable in the applicable code and material to review the project and provide an official opinion/repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back