Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reporting of unqualified people doing engineering? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eleceng01

Electrical
Mar 5, 2007
US
First, let me say I ahve a deep respect for our brethern with Engineering technology (ET) degrees. This is important in this discussion.

My former employer is now using a electrical technician and ET engineer to perform arc flash hazard analysis for customers.

They claim that the owner (a qualified PE) will review the work, but I fear that will not be the case since he was always very busy and might not give the attention that it deserves.

They keep calling me at my new firm and asking questions that makes me uneasy with them doing work that effects personnel safety.

Should I report them to the state board? Is reporting anonymous? The technician is a friend and I dont want to get him in trouble but I dont believe he should be asked to do this kind of work.

Any thoughts? - Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is it exactly that you will report?

That a registered PE owns a company and is having an ET do work?

That you are afraid that the PE that owns the company MIGHT not look at the work?

Reporting your fears?

Charlie

They claim that the owner (a qualified PE) will review the work, but I fear that will not be the case since he was always very busy and might not give the attention that it deserves.

That is speculation on your part. I would not act on that line of reasoning.

They keep calling me at my new firm and asking questions that makes me uneasy with them doing work that effects personnel safety.

I would not provide them with answers to questions. I would firmly state that you can certainly assist them in the project, for a fee based upon your resulting risk and the value you bring. But answering questions willy-nilly on the phone to a personal employer can be construed as participation in the services and expose you to risk.

They either need to depend on the PE there at your former firm, or hire a new PE, or contract with you where you can control the services to your liking.

Should I report them to the state board?

At this point I'm not sure what you'd report (see FACS's statement above). See what happens when you quit "helping" them.

You should only report direct violations of which you are aware.

Thank you all for the feedback. Actually, I remembered this morning that the owner is not a PE. Nor is the company registered with the state as offering engineering services. They do have one PE still. He is in another office and is not doing aything with this work.

Senselessticker - I agree that it is tedious and time consuming, but you are affecting safety so I believe it is a big deal personnally. The present NFPA and IEEE standards do not require a PE, but suggest that it be performed by a PE with 5-yrs power system modelling experience.

All good advise.

If someone calls to ask you how to do something, then they should be hiring you. You should definitely not be answering on the phone.

Everything else you suspect is just that, suspicion. You can't report based on suspicions. You need something concrete - proof.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back