Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Representations in a Part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

automationbabe

Mechanical
Mar 25, 2003
US
Is it possible to have view representations in a part? Or any tricks to what I'm trying to achieve?

I have parts in which the profile and some hole locations can be rough cut (plasma, waterjet), but then I'd then like to unsupress the machining features for a secondary machining step, like adding taps or precision bore.

I don't want to create another part file to do this or go in and manipulate the dxf if I don't have to.

I'm using Inventor 11. If this is possible in a newer release I would be very interested to know which.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No view reps in 2010 either it has been a request for a while though (of course so have MANY other great wish items)...
You are handling it the best way assuming you don't want another part number. I always find is best to have a separate part number for a blank and another part number for the finished part but that's not for you I guess.
So simply supress your secondary step features to show only the blank and unsupress to show the final machined part.

Another option might be to use a weldment assembly with only one part in the assembly. The part would have the profile and general items. Inside the assembly you could use the machined features tools to add the additional features. Then in the drawing when you are placing the base view you can select the model state tab and pick which view you want (assembly, machining, etc...). I don't know if that will do what you are wanting or not, but it is the closest thing I've seen to what you are wanting. By the way, I'm using 2009, and don't know if it will work the same in 11 or not. Anway, I hope this helps.

Have you considered having it as an iPart with different rows controlling suppression. They can be then brought in as different members in a drawing. (Although I am not sure if that was a 2008 addition).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back