Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Representative data of wind turbines

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlierod

Electrical
Mar 16, 2004
CO
Hello everybody, i'm an electrical engineer and actually i'm performing dynamic simulations of wind turbines but i have had some difficulties with data avaliability. Particularly those data related to equivalent wind speed time series and equivalent torque coefficient tables. (equivalent coefficients are calculated from lift coefficients and drag coefficients as far as i know).

Can anyone give an idea about where to find these kind of data?.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CHARLIEROD: This is guess, but out here in California there are several wind turbine farms. I do not know if they are State or Utility owned but you may want to state with the California EPA or and go to the utilites like San Diego Gas and Electric SDG&E. Since you will be dealing wiht bureaucracies, set comfortable and be prepared to be shuttled around

Good Luck
Regards
Dave

Aerodynamic data pertinent to a wide variety of airfoil cross-sections is available from many sources, such as NACA/NASA and UIUC, or can be simulated from fluid-dynamic code packages.
If you are looking to derive the coefficients yourself, you may have some task ahead of you. As I recall, incident wind speed and direction are a function of height above the ground, so as your blades rotate around the axis, all of these are changing.
Try these guys: and

Steven Fahey, CET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back