Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Request help in drawing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

happysoon

Mechanical
Nov 28, 2006
GB
hi everyone,

I have a problem in drawing of 3-stranded wires helical spring. It is made by 3 wires that is tied to form a rope. Then, the rope is curved to form a helical spring.
Is anyone got the ideas to draw it out?

Thank you very much

Soon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't know if the workaraound I used would help any, but I first drew one coil, and then circular arrayed it (we were using 12-strand...) around an apropriate center axis, that ran along the C-L of the lift-line, then arrayed that 4 times around a center of lift. Of course we were only able to get the straight-run segments this way, but as the zoom-in for enough detail to show the line anyway, was in a straight segment area, this was just fine.

Another time we just extruded a single circle of the proper diameter, along a p-line centerline (Extrude-Path) with the necessary curved bends (allowing for the 2D limitation of plines w/ curves)then just attached a jpg decal of a good photo of the cable we were using. Resulted in a far smaller net file size (with the accompanying improvements in performance...) and a QUITE resonable approximation of the desired result. Not perfect, but it met our needs at the time, and most importantly, the boss was pleased !

ACAD has some really great capabilities, if you are willing to live with the necessary compromises, but I guess that's true with EVERY system !

Hope this helps.
Good luck!
C.F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back