Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Requesting Feedback on P&ID Design for a Cold Water Supply System with Duplicated Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

SF6-146

Chemical
Sep 14, 2021
ES
Hello everyone,

I’m currently working on the commissioning of a cold water supply system for a production plant. The system includes duplicated pumps with a tank to ensure a continuous supply of cold water.

I’ve been reviewing the P&ID and the overall design of the installation, and I’ve identified a few potential issues. For example, I noticed the absence of:

Non-return valves
Isolation valves on the suction side
Eccentric reducers
The collector
Provisions for vibration control

Before proceeding further, I’d like to get some feedback from the community. Are there any other potential issues or design improvements that you would recommend for this type of installation? Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P&ID and Photos:

Thank you in advance for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Non return valves : Your sketch shows a check valve - could this be the wafer fitting with black tape around it in the photos?. Preferably these check valves should be on a horizontal pipe run.
Isolation valves on suction side : Agreed
Eccentric reducers : Not required in this case I think
Collector pipe : If this means the main suction header, I dont see any problems here. But the pumps are too close to this header - there ought to be some straight length leading into the pump. Any flow imbalance between pumps closer the header and those further downstream can be evened out by minor throttling of the discharge valves you have now, or missing suction side valves.
Vibration detection : Required only for pumps with drivers > 50kW or so, which I dont think is applicable here.

Hi,
Definitely maintenance of the pumps will be a nightmare, should stop the entire plant, lack of isolation valves, no basket filters on the suction lines. No place to install temporary filters at start up. No drain valves,etc...What about alignment?
Did you check the Isometric drawings prior to construction?
To me it looks like construction works I witnessed many times in China.
Good luck
Pierre

Also that isn't a P&ID, it's a sketch....

The PI connection on the discharge is very odd.

The indent header has no vent so will be difficult to get air out and normally you take connections off the top, not the side.

The pump discharge flange is seemingly taking a lot of weight and force.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Terrible mechanical engineer design. Block valves for inlet and outlet pipes of the pumps are obligatory for operational//maintancen job

Horacio

linkedin.com/in/horacio-torres-molina-429a7b1b

IMO, it looks that someone is playing the “Lego” blocks of four pumps and pipes without any design.
To make a real system, here are some additional questions for the thought:
- adequate pump spacing for safety operation and maintenance
- proper mechanical anchors for pumps
- proper electrical wiring and grounding for the pumps and motors
- need piping stress check to have proper pipe support and anchors of both suction and discharges as required to minimize the loads on pump nozzles
- complete a P&ID with all required details for design and construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back