Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Require Charpy Strength Results, Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fhdak88

Mechanical
Jan 14, 2012
AE
Dear All,

I am posting this thread after thorough research and faliure of not finding the material that i need to validate my research work.

I am working on Finite Element Modeling/Analysis of Charpy Impact Test. The Materials that i am working on are;
1) A36 Steel
3) Aluminium Alloy 6061

Now I am done with my simulations and have already obtained the energy absorbed by the specimen before fracture for my FE model.

Can some one please be kind enough and help me with the Charpy Impact Results (Energy Aborbed) of these two materials so that i can validate my results. I have gone insane searching for them. But didnt find any proper results.

I will be extremely greatful as i am stuck right on the finish line.

Please Help!

Thank you
Fhd

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are no definitive Charpy properties for these alloys, which I suspect is part of the problem. Toughness will vary with a number of composition and processing variables.

In my experience, A36, being hot finished, has poor Charpy properties and is rarely ever specified for pressure vessel applications.

Search 'Charpy aluminum' and 'Charpy A36'. Plenty of hits.

I don't know about the feasibility of predicting CVN from FEA models, although i know hear-say of similar work being done with fracture toughness. Complications you face are entwined in the crystallography and thermo of dislocation motion in an imperfect world. (E.g., there will be mill heat variations in chemistry, heat treatment, microstructure, impurity size and locations within the crystal, grain size, texture...and extrinsics like the test temperature.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back