Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Required infor for Shipping Specification

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnfitzgerald

Mechanical
Dec 1, 2005
US
I’m writing a shipping vibration requirement for an optical instrument we make and I’m not sure if I have all the necessary details to define it. The purpose is to define what vibration levels the unit can survive so the packaging (crate) designer knows how well he needs to protect the unit. I would like to write it so it is independent of the shipping method - such that if the shipping method changes the spec is still valid. Is this the standard way of writing this kind of spec or are they always tailored to the shipping method ?

From our own testing of this device we know it can comfortably handle 2.5 grms of random vibration and 50 g’s of shock. We believe it can handle the vib and shock indefinitely. My boss thinks (but he’s not sure) there is still missing information (i.e. bandwidth, frequency,?) to completely describe these levels. I talked to a packaging vendor who says “no”, but they may be biased to an underdefined spec ?

Thanks in advance,
John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back