Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rescue Hoist

Status
Not open for further replies.

copter

Aerospace
Jan 24, 2004
CA
Does any one out there run any rescue hoist's on helicopters
principly an older Western Gear Corp winch on Sikorskys. We are having problems locating the Guillatine and squib (cable cutter) for our winches. Any one know of any alternatives?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Western Gear Corporation was bought by Lucas Aerospace (name changed to Lucas Western) in the late 80's and continued to make hoists in City of Industry, CA until early 90's and then in Park City, Utah.
I have no idea who is doing that work now as the Park City plant was sold to Rolls Royce in the late 90's and is now operated by Triumph for the last year or so. They may still be making the hoists there.
I worked for Lucas Western (Western Gear) in the late 80's in City of Industry and now work for Sikorsky in CT.

Funny you should say that but we are installing a western Gear hoist in a Sikorsky and still may I add no luck on a replacment cutter. Is it legal to opperate with only a hand held cutter?

Dave1bart,

Small world! I also worked (gearbox design)for Western Gear/Lucas Western/Rolls-Royce Geared Systems. I started at the City of Industry, CA facility in '93 and continued at the Park City, UT plant until early '95. It was a great place to work because I worked with some of the best gear and mechanism designers in the U.S., and learned a lot! The reason I finally left is that I'm a SoCal kid and I could not take another Park City winter.

I only worked on turbine engine gearboxes (EMAD's and AMAD's), but I do remember that they had an engineer assigned to respond to service issues regarding rescue hoists. I'm sure they still provide parts and service for it, if they indeed were the OEM for it. That's how the aircraft business works here in the U.S. If you built it, you're responsible for it as long as it is in service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back