Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Research of quality of concreting 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Shelton

Electrical
Jun 1, 2020
US
Hi to all
I am preparing a research paper on the quality of concrete. Any tips, any experiences you can share will be helpful. Because I just don't know where to start.
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What's the purpose? Probably hundreds of papers on this general subject out there. No copying please.

I completely agree with you. But I need this job for the university.
I need something unique. So I decided to ask you for help.

OK, but no copying is tough requirement. I'd ask the local ready-mix concrete supplier and be prepared to go out on his jobs for samples and testing if that is needed. I'd look at new additive and what effect they have.

I hope you are not going to get offered for a job teaching concrete after all. Unique? The topic is far from unique as OG pointed out. Do something that fits your own strength.

Krystal Hale said:
It is difficult to write a unique work on such a simple topic. After all, searching the Internet you will find hundreds of works on this topic. In this case, I can recommend you to contact the service They can write unique research papers even on such a banal topic. They perform all work efficiently and quickly. I turned to them for help when writing my own work. They helped me a lot.
This is highly unethical. Getting someone else to write a paper for you is not acceptable.

Concrete is a seemingly simple polymer; however, it is quite complex chemically. If you want to know a lot about concrete, ready any of A.M. Neville's books on concrete.

Quality concrete is not hard to achieve but is sometimes elusive in practice due to the ignorance of those using it. In its basic form it is a mixture of portland cement (a chemically complex material), water, fine aggregate (coarse sand) and coarse aggregate (rock). The strength of concrete is determined by its "recipe" or mix design, with the leading predictor of strength being the weight ratio of water to cement. Quality concrete is typically produced with a water-cement ratio of 0.50 or less.

There have been hundreds of books written on concrete and concrete quality. Some good resources, besides Neville, would be the American Concrete Institute and the Portland Cement Association.

This is my take - for what it is worth. Saying you want to do a paper on the "Quality of Concreting" is something akin to writing a research paper on baseball. So many aspects of concrete; so many aspects of baseball.

I take it that you are an electrical engineer. I would surmise that you wish to do research that relates concrete to electrical. In hydro projects, grounding is very important. Grounding for the powerhouses are embedded in the concrete. Does the quality of the concrete surround have an effect on the electrical properties related to the grounding? In other words, poor concrete vibration can leave voids/honeycombing vs good vibration which leaves normal entrained or entrapped air voids. Does this have an effect on the grounding system? Also, poor vibration can lead to ingress of water; grounding steel (and many times this is welded to the main reinforcing bars) could with time corrode. Does this have any effect on the efficacy of the grounding system? Does the use of fly ash or slag (and various percentages) have any effect on the grounding system?

Given the above thoughts you could perhaps develope a testing programme with a few variables and determine, even if for the local concrete, the effects of poor vibration or concrete makeup. It may make no differnce - and that, in itself, might be useful to know.

Again - my quick thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back