Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Residential Material estimate (Takeoff) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calc1

Structural
Feb 24, 2005
US
I have been asked to do the take off for a 3000 sq ft new house, anyone has the item list or excel sheet that I can use or has any recommendation. This is my first time doing it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hmmm, really, you can base residential take offs on square foot costs of similar construction, like $100-$300/ sq. ft. Depending on where you are and the quality of materials and construction. If you need to do a sticks and bricks take off, and incorporate permit fees, design fees, overhead, etc. then you need to account for your costs. If you have never done a take off before I hope you are a carpenter or builder, because you won't know the half of the costs to build. Residential take offs are a pain for a single residence because it is a lot of work for small fee. Do I sound like an "Ex-estimator" ?
I recommend getting estimates from other local builders and compare their prices. Get more than 3 and determine how long they have been in business. This will tell you whether their numbers are good or not. If you are still determined after this to come up with your own version of the costs to build, send me an email and I will quote you a cost for an excel spreadsheet to help with estimating costs. It is not a small undertaking though.

I wouldn't pay anyone for an unknown Excell solution, financial, estimating, whatever. The internet is rife with cheesy Excell solutions. However, in fact, I like to exchange ideas/algorithms for free with anyone wishing to discuss Excell automation of structural design problems.

Well, Thank you everyone, I do not mean cost estimate, but material estimate for wood frame residential ( house).

Well...a material estimate is part of a cost estimate. If you have a set of plans then you should be able to do a sticks and bricks take off...Just start adding up quantities and lengths. You don't need spreadsheet for that, just paper, pencil calculator.

Actuall i have spreadsheets (Framing, windows, roofing, doors, hardwear...) that you are asking for, but i dont know how to get them too you. My previous reply was deleted, becouse I asked for an Email address to send them too you. So here is a resent project list:
500 2 X 4 – 104 5/8” (9’ Precut) Pine
300 2 X 4 – 104 5/8” (10’ Precut) Pine
200 2 X 4 - 14' Llp
40 2 X 4 - 14' Pt #2 Above Grade
8 2 X 6 - 10' Pt
2 2 X 6 - 16' Pt
500 1 X 4- L.Ft Syp
4 2 X 12- 10' Syp
20 2 X 12- 14' Syp
3 6 X 6- 10' Pt
2 6 X 6- 12' Pt
24 2 X 6-14' Llp