Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Residential propane tank anchorage

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronMcD

Structural
Aug 20, 2010
US
I am required to provide anchorage information for a couple residential propane tanks - 1150 gallons each. They look similar to the tanks you find at the gas station propane refill.

ASCE 7-15 requires 8x diameter gauge for steel anchors in concrete (such as an embedded sleeve), in addition to concrete breakout and pull out being higher than steel failure (SDC C and up).

Some members of the construction team and propane supplier sent some stuff out pertaining to "eye bolt" location. Before I go ask them what the hell an eye bolt is for, I thought I'd ask on here. I'm assuming an eye bolt would be to strap the tank down perhaps? But that doesn't meet ASCE requirements. Is this a common way tanks are anchored? Are most residential propane tanks anchored ignoring ASCE 7 requirements?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Aaron, my understanding of the 8x stretch length is for elevated tanks, not ground supported.

edit: I reviewed ASCE 7-10 section 15.7.5 and don't see this distinction anywhere, my apologies.

For eye-bolts, just wrap the top 1/4 of the bolt in duct tape 2-3 times and this will provide the "Stretch length" required. Do you embedment calcs from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back