Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

residential shear wall assembly-plywood over metal studs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ick2

Structural
May 16, 2003
CY
i have to design a three story house on long island where the basic wind speed exceeds 110mph and therefore i cannot use prescreptive methods to design the vertical diaphragms. From the ground(1st floor) to the 2nd floor the exterior walls are reinforced CMU with 4"brick in front. From the second floor to the attic (3rd) the exterior wall is 6" metal studs 12"oc and 15/32 exterior plywood. The face of the plywood aligns with the exterior phase of brick and therefore the stud wall is off the CMU wall in such a way that the centerline of the studs is 4.5" off the centerline of the CMU. The studs will be supported on the wood floor joist that project off the CMU. the wall above and below has a lot of openings and most of the plywood sections will be less than 4' wide. i need1. References for designing the stud shear wall assembly2. What kind of hold-downs to use since the studs are eccentric to the cmu below and the usual ready made connectors will not work here.i have used segmented wall procedure and has calculated tension/compression forces of 5000lbs.any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CFSEI publishes a design guide on Cold Formed Steel Framed Wood or Steel Sheathed Shear Wall Assemblies which may be helpful in answering item 1 I have not used or seen the publication so I do not know how useful it is. For item 2, I would say you need to look at the load path, you may need to provide a series of holdowns, 1 from the studs to the wood joist, and then another from the wood joist to the CMU wall. I would make sure that you get enough bearing area on the wood joist for the 5k load, may need to provide a plate to transfer the compression load so you don't crush the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back