Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Residential Site Screening Limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuhuh

Civil/Environmental
Jan 28, 2011
US
I am importing roughly 5000 yrds of fill dirt to fill in a hole in southern California. The owner wants the dirt to contain less than 3 mg/kg of hydrocarbons. I can't get dirt that has below 3 mg/kg of hydrocarbons. Is this spec even possible? All three site I have gotten samples from are not gas station or not near any gasoline run off areas such as roads. I have checked epa and cal epa sites for info. Their tier 1 levels for residential area remediation look to be around 50 mg/kg for hydrocarbon chains 6-36. Please help and give me any references or personal opinions ! Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shouldn't be a problem to procure fresh Agg Base or pit run soils from a quarry to satisfy the requirement, but finding the appropriate test to document the quality of the soil might be more challenging.

Looking at ASTM D5831, a std hydrocarbon soil test tends to focus on detection limits no lower than about 20 mg/kg depending upon the product being searched from crude oil to oils to gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back