Resilience vs Stability

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso44

Electrical
Aug 29, 2020
SA

Hi Everyone.
I came across similar definitions of power system resilience and stability.
stability is defined as the ability of power system to recover to it's pre-fault conditions after an event. However, i found resilience of the Power system is defined as the characterizes the ability to resist, adapt to, and timely recover from disruptions.
could someone elaborate the differences please?

Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Stability is often shorthand that specifically refers to short-term transient stability of a system after a fault. Typically transient stability analysis ignores phenomenon faster than 0.25 cycles and slower than 30 seconds. Usually a power system transient stability study looks at just one outage at a time. In the USA, the specific outage types are described in NERC standard TPL-001.

Resilience often covers a broader time range. Several minor individual faults throughout the day end up pushing the system outside of prestudied stability boundaries into unknown operating conditions as dispatchers reconfigure the system. Resilience may also include addressing many other kinds of stresses including storms, earthquakes, wildfire, drought, fuel disruptions, transportation disruptions.

Stability could also refer to voltage stability, small signal stability, or frequency recovery capability.

This forum has folks from all over the world, and it is always interesting to hear when other regions use terms differently than where I live.

Power system stability is a recognized terminology in the context of power system analysis. Where as power system resilience is not a recognized terminology in the context of power system analysis.

In the IEC world "power system resilience" is not a commonly dealt subject subject. To me it appears that by a slip of tongue mentioned as resilience in place of stability. Or resilience is an equivalent word to stability in some other language.

Ability to recover quickly from the disruption is resilience while stability is the condition of being stable or in equilibrium, ability of sustain the change.

Apparently resilience and stability appears to be conveying the same meaning.

Many thanks for your distinguished replies.

I am still trying to draw a line between those tow terms in relation to system interaction after an event.
can the system be stable but not resilient ? for example, can a system stay stable after an event but goes to unknown operating conditions ?

thanks for enriching the topic.

regards
mso

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back