Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resin Starvation

Status
Not open for further replies.

brakemeister

Automotive
Aug 15, 2002
US
Other than cold cavity surface (less than 150 degrees F), what kind of molding conditions would contribute to the lack of a resin-rich surface of a gear molded out of Celcon GC25A?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

180 deg F would be ideal for good surface finish, but I don't think that is your problem.

Good surface finish with glass filled crystalline materials depends on a number of factors. If any one is insufficient, a glassy or silver streak type of finish occurs.

The causes are glass suck back or out-gassing. Both cause tiny voids at or near the surface which gives a silver streak type of finish.

To avoid this, dry the material. Yes I know Acetal doesn't need drying, but you get a better finish and less mould deposit if you do dry it.

Use high injection speed. This might be limited by jetting, then it becomes a trade off as to which fault you can tolerate, or you need to change the gate.

The highest practical mould temperature. This allows the mould to fill and pack before the surface of the plastic skins or gels.

Enough injection pressure to fully pack the mould.

Enough holding pressure to hold the pack stable, so the material below the skin does not move and disturb the fibres in the skin.

You can get a feel for this by watching the cushion while the moulding freezes.

A big enough gate and sufficient hold up time to keep the pack on the material until it is frozen enough to avoid resin movement just below the surface.

These conditions might also effect mould shrinkage and material strength.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Excellent reply by pat, i agree. Also, don't be afraid to raise mold temp. (230-250 F) or so and maybe try slow to medium inj. speed. Also, I would be very cautious of high screw speeds, and excessive regrind rate if applicable. Definitely dry mat'l (180 F). Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back