Resolving conflicts

Status
Not open for further replies.

claudiodeviaje

Mechanical
Jun 19, 2005
DE
Hi There...
I'm about to finish university and finally start working. Since as in work as in the university you are confronted with lazy coworkers (class mates), dictator-bosses (teachers) and all sort of social problems, I would like to read a little on conflict solving strategies.

Do you have some tips or linke to websites where this problem is addressed?

cheers!

claudio

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

claudiodeviaje

That is a very astute question. Below is a basic conflist resolution process (one I had developed on a previous project). The process listed below assumes that two or more entities (work groups or contractors) have a conflict in some aspect of a projexct. It also assumes that the conflict cannot be resolved by mutual agreement.

1.1 Define / Agree on the Conflict
Parties to the conflict will develop and agree on a written statement or Conflict Resolution Statement that defines the conflict and its boundaries. The Project Manager will oversee this process insuring that all party's issues are captured in the Conflict Resolution Statement. If the Conflict Resolution Statement affects other parties, they too must be brought into the resolution process. The Field Manager or Deputy Field Manager will set the time frame for resolving the conflict.

1.2 Identify Drivers and Potential Solutions to Resolve the Conflict
Each party to the conflict is responsible for gathering information to bolster their case for a favorable resolution to the conflict. Information will be presented to the Deputy Project Field Manager for inclusion into the Conflict Resolution Statement.

1.3 Assess Risk versus Reward for each Solution
Each party will develop a rough cost estimate, schedule impact, and risk/mitigation factors for their preferred course of action. The risk and mitigation factors include.
• Safety
• Quality
• Cost
• Schedule
• Teamwork

1.4 Understand and Discuss all Potential Solutions to the Conflict
Parties present their preferred course of action. Other concerned parties can ask clarification questions only.

1.5 Develop Best Case Solution
Parties develop the best case solution for the project. The best case solution will consider Safety, Quality, Cost, Schedule, Team work in the listed order as a basis for conflict resolution. A single solution will then be chosen or a hybrid of two or more solution will be chosen. If the involved parties are unable to resolve the conflict, the Field Manager or Deputy Field Manager will resolve the conflict. Project management will be notified immediately of how the conflict was resolved and implications of the resolution.

1.6 Documentation and Implementation
The Conflict Resolution Statement and associated MOC needed to fund the new course of action will be sent to Project Leadership Team for approvals. Details regarding execution will be communicated through the daily report.

The baisc process above will need to have the proper titles and levels of authority inserted where applicalbe, but it should give you some basic guidance in conflict resolution. Good luck in your career.

Greg Lamberson, BS, MBA
Consultant - Upstream Energy

Greg's post is good for more formal conflicts but interpersonal conflicts are different. I did see a news item once where a married couple, both in their 100s, were asked what was the secret of their happy 80 year old marriage. The husband replied - two words - yes dear. You could try that but I'd miss out the word 'dear'.

corus

Here is a good website for conflict resolution
Greg's information is a great start. I wish conflict resolution was topic they made all engineers take for their degrees. It's one of the number one problems that has made some of my projects unsucessful. It's good that you're aware of this early in your career so now do some research and equip yourself with knowledge.

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 3.0 & Pro/E 2001
XP Pro SP2.0 P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right." -- George Best

Dale Carnegie

If you can't talk your boss into sending you, lots of people have the book and course notes.

It's worth a read.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

This may sound depressing but there's truth in it - not everyone will like you. You can be nice and friendly and there will always be people who, for whatever reason, simply won't treat you as you treat them.
All you have to remember is to not take crap from people, and always remain friendly no matter what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back