Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resonance Fixture. Crazy Idea? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dktoao

Mechanical
Jun 17, 2010
US
We have a spec for a sine dwell on a project that I am working on. The level is higher than we can do at our local test facility which is where we would prefer to test. So my question is... Is it unheard of to design a fixture that will resonate at or near the test frequency so that you can push the table at a percentage of the required input and still fully test the part? Or are there just too many risks associated with doing a test this way? I attached a rough sketch of the idea.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In an engineering, problem solving sense, that may be a reasonable solution. In the hidebound world of test rigs you may meet with some resistance. My guess is that if it is for an internal project you should be able to persuade management. If it is for an external customer, you may be able to charm them.

Incidentally it may not be as easy as you think to get that effect, over a braod frequency range.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

It is a sine dwell at a single frequency, there is not a broad spectrum of frequencies. IR, I guess I am not fully following your point. If we design the resonance and shoot for the ramp up rather than the peak of the resonance. Say assuming a Q of 4 I could just multiply the weight of the part and the fixture by 4 to figure out the size shaker that can handle the resonance. Of course there will have to be surveys done and the whole 9 but that is good practice for any vibe test.

hi,
I have design such a fixture way back but we call it mechanical signal amplifier. The main reason is to increase the signal that the DUT is experiencing. The material for the fixture and the way to control the gain take more work in the analysis side. Good knowledge of damping coefficient for material is very important as well as shape of elastomer to control the gain on a particular bandwidth. Resonance can be change by change the damper resonance (made of elastomer with or without fluid).

This type of fixture has been done and can also be qualified as a standard test fixture for a given DUT mass.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back