Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resource Recommendation for Constraint Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jste

Mechanical
Mar 31, 2021
US
I am pretty fresh to design, I've spent more time working with FEA than mechanisms and alignment. I'm working with assemblies that need to be precisely aligned and I am designing both the parts themselves and the tooling to fixture parts for machining, bonding, assembly, and match drilling.

I would appreciate any resources you may have about designing assemblies to minimize slop. I don't quite know how to word it, but a simple example is using a hole and slot instead of two oversized holes if you are attempting precise alignment without needing to specify ridiculous tolerances on the hole size and position.

I understand the basic principle that you over constrain the mating parts with 2 holes that must be concentric, but I am hoping for more in-depth explanation on how the tolerance stackup compares between 2 holes vs 1 hole and 1 slot.

I can't think of any more examples, which is the crux of the problem. I would like to be exposed to more of these concepts but I'm not sure what keywords and concepts to search for.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not totally sure of the question, but mainly you should think about the 6 "degrees of freedom" that need to be controlled. Presuming you have a primary plane already established, a hole is great for establishing 360 degree control, while a slot is good for stopping rotation. Having two oversized holes can also lock in all degrees of freedom, but usually that allows for more slop.
This may also get into a MMC/MMB discussion, but let's save that. Perhaps you can expand on your question or post a sketch...

Hi Belanger,

Yes that's the train of thought I was going off of. I'm cognizant of DoF especially when I'm working in CAD, I've had too many assemblies blow up on me because I over constrained them. I'm pretty well versed on GD&T, not on the level of some here but I think far more than the average entry level designer.

I'm not really thinking of a specific design, though one I am reviewing right now did start me on this train of thought. These resources are a decent example of the concepts I'm trying to learn more about:

I'm looking for some kind of text, discussion, whatever that gives me more ideas for intelligent part constraint. It seems like most designs rely on the basic pin/hole (or slot) fit, which seems to make sense with availability of mass produced parts. Those carrlane sources introduced me to other kinds of pins, floating pins, diamond pins. I know it's focused more on work holding but the same concepts seem useful in general assembly design as well.

I'm kind of at the point of "I don't know what I don't know". I'm just curious if anyone has come across a well constructed "beginners" guide for intelligent fitment. Or if people have more ideas outside of cylindrical features mating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back