Resource to design distribution network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

The German Goose

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2023
GB
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could provide me with some useful links, apps, book , resources to help learn and aid design of water distribution network for a small community of 20 houses in the rural amazon.

I need to calculate pipe sizes, pipe layout (tree network, circular etc.), dead end, bottlenecks etc plus anything else that would be useful to take into consideration.

Also any recommendations for good apps to design or calculate the network would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

EPANET is free software that models water systems. See
EPANET doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles like the commercial water system modeling programs have, but it will be more than enough for such a small system and it's easier to learn because of it's relative simplicity. Also note that EPANET is the calculating engine behind some of the commercial programs.

As far as books about water system design, I don't have any current recommendations. Hopefully, someone else will have some good recommendations perhaps the AWWA Water Distribution Systems Handbook: I have exactly one textbook from college that dealt with the subject (Water Supply and Pollution Control by Clark, Viessman, and Hammer, 1977), but the topic is covered in only a few pages. Most of what I learned about water system design was by working with experienced water system design engineers and reading the applicable codes. I suggest doing an Internet search for things like "water system design", "water distribution system design", etc. Here are couple documents I found that you might find useful:

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

if your system requires pumping to the reservoir you should also look into ram pumps to lift the water to your reservoir rather than an electric pump. These gouys have some good info and if they are still in operation they will have been around for ages Link

I have a manual for rural water supply that was prepared by world bank/ AfDB or some entity like that and did a quick google and found this that looks good

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back